We are happy to announce that the annual International Week of the Estonian Academy of Security Sciences takes place on 4 – 8 November 2019 with the topic "On the border". Within the International Week we are pleased to welcome you to participate in our Academy’s annual conference.
Detecting borders is always difficult, as they are not usually clear straight lines. We at the academy have finally crossed a borderline – moving to the new hi-tech study building and celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Master’s studies.
An important challenge in the area of security and safety has been the detection of threats related with mental, informational, psychological, geographical, legal, physical etc borders. Similarly, the preparation for the prevention and combating of such threats also in borderline situations as there are often dangers below the set lines.
Keywords: border, cyber border, state border, masters of security studies.
Monday, 4th of November
19.00 Welcome Dinner at Farm
Tuesday, 5th of November
Conference "On the Border"
8.15 Transportation from the hotel to EASS
9.30 Opening words by the Minister, Rector (preceded by the introductory speech)
10.00 Rector Marek Link “The Horizons of Education”
10.30 Catherine de Bolle, Executive Director of EUROPOL “Detecting the Cyber Border”
11.30 panel discussion “What has cyber got to do with us?”Kristina Raidla-Puhm, Tauno Suurkivi, Tuuli Pärnsalu, Martin Sepp
Moderator and discussion leader in the morning: Kristian Jaani
14.00 Berndt Koerner, Deputy Executive Director of FRONTEX „The Land Border of the European Union – No Need for a Boat”
14.20 Ülembsootska of Setos – There’s Life on Either Side of the Border
14.40 panel discussion: „How I was on the other side of the border” Tarmo Miilits, Jaanus Breivel, Janek Laev, Marju Saar
Moderator and discussion leader in the afternoon: Mari-Liis Tamme
15.40 Coffee break
16.00 Krum Garkov, Executive Director of EU-Lisa “Where are the Borders of EU Data?
16.20 Aleksei Turovski – What do Animals Think of Borders?
16.40 Concluding remarks
Networking with dinner (in the sports hall)
Transportation back to the hotel
Wednesday, 6th of November
Conference "On the Border" continues
9.15 Transportation from hotel to EASS
10.00 opening words and introduction (Great Hall)
Moderator: Marek Väljari
11.00 Beginning of workshops
- Border workshop: Whether a fence or a line or zeros and ones? – Helen Neider-Veerme
- Cyber workshop: Is there anybody on the cyber border? – Marit Laats
- Education workshop: Does the border of future education lie behind the horizon? – Martin Lambing
12.30 Buffet lunch
13.30 Workshops continue
15.00 Coffee break
15.30 Concluding words and closing (Great Hall)
Transportation back to the hotel
Thursday, 7th of November
8. 15 Transportation to Talinn Airport
9.00 Visit to Schengen Border - Tallinn Airport
11.30 E-Estonia Showroom
14.30 Simulation Excercises
16.00 Transport back to the hotel
Friday, 8th of November
* The organizer reserves the right to make changes to the event programm
Please register to the International Week by sending an e-mail to Kaisa Kägu (kaisa.kagu [at] sisekaitse.ee).
Deadline for applications is 15th of October 2019.
PARTICIPATION FEE and ACCOMMODATION
The participation fee will be 200 EUR/participant, which will include:
- Registration in all activities of the International Week;
- Participation in the conference;
- Accommodation in Park Inn by Radisson Meriton Conference & Spa Hotel Tallinn in the city centre within short walking distance of the main attractions, business and shopping areas, for 4 nights, with check-in on Monday, 4th of November and check-out on Friday, 8th of November in a single room with breakfast included;
- Meals and coffee-breaks in the framework of the official program;
- Local transportation within the programm;
- Old town tour;
- An information kit.
Coordinator of International Cooperation
DEPARTMENT OF INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION AND DEVELOPMENT
+372 696 5405; +372 512 6353
kaisa.kagu [at] sisekaitse.ee