Students from EU countries who have valid health insurance in your home country during your studies in Estonia, then you should apply for the EU Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate of an EU health insurance card (form E128). You should apply for that from the social service authorities in your home country before arriving in Estonia.

However, necessary health care is not always free of charge – the patient’s co-payment should be paid according to Estonian tariffs. Therefore, it is recommended to also buy travel and health insurance from a private insurance company before coming to Estonia.

Note that EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property. More information about what is covered by EHIC can be found from the EHIC website. To be eligible for EHIC, you must be insured by or covered by a state social security system in any member state of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.